Basic Monitoring of a PowerEdge SC440

Patrick_Fischer at Dell.com Patrick_Fischer at Dell.com
Fri Feb 13 09:07:54 CST 2009

SC = small Configuration

Some has an BMC with IPMI, think the 1600 SC and 1800 SC but the
others....... - no hot plug disks, no redundant PSU's, no management

Diag Led's and beep codes are all in the 440SC.

Software is available: Sas raid Storage manager

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s
=biz&deviceid=9745&libid=36&releaseid=R163455&vercnt=2&formatcnt=0&Syste
mID=PWE_P4_SC440&servicetag=&os=WNET&osl=en&catid=-1&impid=-1

From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com
[mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Kevin Davidson
Sent: Freitag, 13. Februar 2009 15:43
To: mike.peachey at jennic.com
Cc: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Re: Basic Monitoring of a PowerEdge SC440

On 13 Feb 2009, at 12:34, Mike Peachey wrote:

I currently own a PowerEdge SC440 and it is running Slackware Linux on a
2.6 kernel (for reasons of security, stability, speed, resource usage
etc etc).

Hoping someone can correct me, but I think you're SOL. OMSA does not
support most of the SC series - they're cheap, budget hardware(!)

I support an SC440 and have never got lm_sensors or IPMI to work (using
OpenSUSE 10.2 if it matters - due to be upgraded to 11.1 sometime soon).
The fans, temperatures and case intrusion data do show up in the BIOS.

Kevin Davidson

Technical Director

t 0870 745 4001

m 07813 149620