Basic Monitoring of a PowerEdge SC440

Mike Peachey mike.peachey at jennic.com
Fri Feb 13 07:44:19 CST 2009

Frederik Himpe wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 12:34:39 +0000, Mike Peachey wrote:
>
> # ipmitool sensor
>
> gives all the information you need.
>
> At least, supposing your system does have a BMC. You can verify this with
> the dmidecode command, it should contain something like this:
>
> IPMI Device Information
>         Interface Type: KCS (Keyboard Control Style)
>         Specification Version: 1.5
>         I2C Slave Address: 0x10
>         NV Storage Device: Not Present
>         Base Address: 0x0000000000000CA8 (I/O)
>         Register Spacing: 32-bit Boundaries
>
> It's possible you will need to load the right ipmi driver first. modprobe
> ipmi_si does the trick here.

Firstly, thank you very much for your reply.

I get the feeling however, that I may be missing a BMC because
attempting to modprobe impi_si fails with unknown device, although
dmidecode does at least suggest that it knows there are a couple of fans
in the system.. TBH, at this point I really don't know what the
motherboard is or isn't capable of.

Perhaps you might be able to tell me.. for all I know, the motherboard
simply doesn't have any sensors and has no way to access the CPU's own.
I just can't imagine Dell would sell a server chassis & motherboard
combination without the ability to check basic sensor info.

I attach outputs from dmidecode & lshw which might help.
--
Kind Regards,

Mike Peachey, IT
Tel: +44 114 281 2655
Fax: +44 114 281 2951
Jennic Ltd, Furnival Street, Sheffield, S1 4QT, UK
Comp Reg No: 3191371 - Registered In England
http://www.jennic.com