update_firmware not finding latest BIOS

Alexander Dupuy alex.dupuy at mac.com
Tue Feb 10 11:08:58 CST 2009

Troels Arvin writes:
> update_firmware reports:
> Running system inventory...
>
> Searching storage directory for available BIOS updates...
> Checking System BIOS for PowerEdge 2950 - 2.3.1
>     Available: system_bios(ven_0x1028_dev_0x01b2) - 2.3.1
>     Did not find a newer package to install that meets all
> installation checks.
>
> This system does not appear to have any updates available.
> No action necessary.
>
> While on Dell's support site, I can see that the latest system BIOS is
> version 2.5.0 released 11/18/2008. Is this expected (conservatism on
> purpose?), or does it indicate a problem in my yum configuration?

I don't think that it is a problem with your yum configuration.  I
suspect that it is more just that the update_firmware tool and
repository are unsupported software from Dell, and nobody has bothered
to add the latest BIOS updates (2.5.0 is indeed the latest version, and
it is not present in that repository).  Perhaps there was once automatic
software somewhere at Dell that kept the update_firmware repository up
to date, but it is not working for some reason.  Or maybe it was always
manually updated, and the person who was doing that isn't around any
more or just forgot...

@alex

mailto:alex.dupuy at mac.com