DRAC firmware source code - update 2

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Wed Feb 4 18:28:04 CST 2009

>> I'm hoping someone will figure out what's going on before we
>> have to take things further...
>
> As a regular mailing list member, I respectfully ask you to take any
> issues you have involving licensing off list, and offer up a few links
> so you can better understand the GPL.
>
> GPL enforcement is the responsibility of the copyright holder
> (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhoHasThePower), as a regular
> user, you have no "rights" to demand anything from Dell. If you see a
> GPL violation, tell the copyright holder and hope they have the time and
> resources to do something about it. You can also direct the developer to
> the Free Software Foundataion, who will procecute violations if you sign
> your copyright over to them. In the case of busy box, contact
> gpl at busybox.net (http://www.busybox.net/license.html).

I'm sorry, perhaps you misunderstood my message.  By "taking things
further" I meant informing the copyright holders.  While it is
frustrating that we are so far unable to get hold of the source code, I
understand that in an organisation the size of Dell it can sometimes
take a while for things to happen, so of course I am prepared to be
patient.  There is no point in getting the BusyBox, Kernel, etc.
developers involved when Dell are trying their best to comply.  I
consider that a last resort.

Have no fear, this discussion is unlikely to deteriorate into an
argument about the GPL.  I will however keep posting updates as I hear
news from Dell, as enough people seem to be interested in the outcome.
Feel free to add my address into your killfile if you're not one of
them :-)

Cheers,
Adam.