DRAC firmware source code - update 2

Flaherty, Patrick pflaherty at wsi.com
Wed Feb 4 16:20:54 CST 2009

> > If it isn't or can't be found, Dell seems to me IMHO in
> violation of
> > the GPL license agreement. This may not be the case because were
> > missing some information, or it may simply be forgotten.
>
> At present, yes, Dell are in violation of the terms in the
> GPL.  However I have spoken with someone from Dell off-list
> who said he had prepared code to be included in the media
> kit, so it looks like it's just a matter of nobody being able
> to find it now.
>
> I'm hoping someone will figure out what's going on before we
> have to take things further...

As a regular mailing list member, I respectfully ask you to take any
issues you have involving licensing off list, and offer up a few links
so you can better understand the GPL.

GPL enforcement is the responsibility of the copyright holder
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhoHasThePower), as a regular
user, you have no "rights" to demand anything from Dell. If you see a
GPL violation, tell the copyright holder and hope they have the time and
resources to do something about it. You can also direct the developer to
the Free Software Foundataion, who will procecute violations if you sign
your copyright over to them. In the case of busy box, contact
gpl at busybox.net (http://www.busybox.net/license.html).

Best
Patrick