Email Alerting with DRAC5

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Wed Feb 4 11:25:48 CST 2009

> 3.6 Domains
>
>    Only resolvable, fully-qualified, domain names (FQDNs) are permitted
>    when domain names are used in SMTP.  In other words, names that can
>    be resolved to MX RRs or A RRs (as discussed in section 5) are

IIRC, our determination that IP addresses were acceptable was from RFC822,
maybe not.  It has been a while:

  4.1.2 Command Argument Syntax

      MAIL FROM:<reverse-path> [SP <mail-parameters> ] <CRLF>
      "MAIL FROM:" ("<>" / Reverse-Path)
                       [SP Mail-parameters] CRLF

>> If I recall correctly, reverse-path had some object dependencies that
>> let both a string value, and dotted decimal value be valid

Also:

4.1.3 Address Literals

   Sometimes a host is not known to the domain name system and
   communication (and, in particular, communication to report and repair
   the error) is blocked.  To bypass this barrier a special literal form
   of the address is allowed as an alternative to a domain name.  For
   IPv4 addresses, this form uses four small decimal integers separated
   by dots and enclosed by brackets such as [123.255.37.2], which
   indicates an (IPv4) Internet Address in sequence-of-octets form.  For
   IPv6 and other forms of addressing that might eventually be
   standardized, the form consists of a standardized "tag" that
   identifies the address syntax, a colon, and the address itself, in a
   format specified as part of the IPv6 standards [17].

And this section:

4.1.1.1  Extended HELLO (EHLO) or HELLO (HELO)

   These commands are used to identify the SMTP client to the SMTP
   server.  The argument field contains the fully-qualified domain name
   of the SMTP client if one is available.  In situations in which the
   SMTP client system does not have a meaningful domain name (e.g., when
   its address is dynamically allocated and no reverse mapping record is

   available), the client SHOULD send an address literal (see section
   4.1.3), optionally followed by information that will help to identify
   the client system.