Email Alerting with DRAC5

Bill Weiss bweiss at lanl.gov
Wed Feb 4 11:04:45 CST 2009

Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
>> The reason is that the sender email address has no FQDN
>> (root at drac-esxn). According to the RFC, it should be with the FQDN,
>
> Actually, according to RFC, it _does not_ -- which is what we found out.
>
> Except Courier, Exim, and Postfix wont have anything to do with
> non-FQDNs unless you're prepared layer your anti-spam configurations :)

RFC 2821 pretty clearly states this:

4.1.1.1  Extended HELLO (EHLO) or HELLO (HELO)

   These commands are used to identify the SMTP client to the SMTP
   server.  The argument field contains the fully-qualified domain name
   of the SMTP client if one is available.

and

3.6 Domains

   Only resolvable, fully-qualified, domain names (FQDNs) are permitted
   when domain names are used in SMTP.  In other words, names that can
   be resolved to MX RRs or A RRs (as discussed in section 5) are
   permitted, as are CNAME RRs whose targets can be resolved, in turn,
   to MX or A RRs.  Local nicknames or unqualified names MUST NOT be
   used.  There are two exceptions to the rule requiring FQDNs:

   -  The domain name given in the EHLO command MUST BE either a primary
      host name (a domain name that resolves to an A RR) or, if the host
      has no name, an address literal as described in section 4.1.1.1.

--
Bill Weiss
Not speaking for my employer, of course.