Machine check exception (Debian Etch)

Dave Ewart davee at ceu.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 4 03:17:02 CST 2009

On Tuesday, 03.02.2009 at 16:43 +0100, Morten P.D. Stevens wrote:

> >     $ sudo mcelog --ascii --k8
> >      MCE 0
> >      HARDWARE ERROR. This is *NOT* a software problem!
> >      Please contact your hardware vendor
> >      CPU 3 BANK 4 TSC 32559b687fb05
> >      MISC e00c0ffe01000000 ADDR 1019aa6cc4
> >      STATUS 9c034480011c017b MCGSTATUS 0
> >
> >      MCE 0
> >      HARDWARE ERROR. This is *NOT* a software problem!
> >      Please contact your hardware vendor
> >      HARDWARE ERROR. This is *NOT* a software problem!
> >      Please contact your hardware vendor
> >      CPU 3 0 data cache TSC 32559b687fb05
> >      MISC e00c0ffe01000000
> >       Data cache ECC error (syndrome 6)
> >            bit39 = res7
> >            bit42 = res10
> >            bit46 = corrected ecc error
> >            bit59 = misc error valid
> >       memory/cache error 'evict mem transaction, generic transaction, level generic'
> >      STATUS 9c034480011c017b MCGSTATUS 0
>
> i think it´s a CPU-related problem with the CPU Data Cache.

Well, I can read that it says "CPU ... data cache" too, but given that
I've had other errors previously reported by CPUs which suggest *RAM*
issues, I was wondering if anyone had more specific pointers.

How sure are you that the above report indicates a *CPU* fault - those
are, in my experience, *incredibly* rare.

> When you try cat /proc/cpuinfo CPU3 means the first physical CPU Core 4.

Yes, that's what the reports normally mean, but "CPU 3 0" could mean CPU
number 3 (i.e. the fourth), core 0 (i.e. the first).  How sure are you
about the terminology used specifically in these MCE logs?

Dave.

--
Dave Ewart
davee at ceu.ox.ac.uk
Computing Manager, Cancer Epidemiology Unit
University of Oxford / Cancer Research UK
PGP: CC70 1883 BD92 E665 B840 118B 6E94 2CFD 694D E370
Get key from http://www.ceu.ox.ac.uk/~davee/davee-ceu-ox-ac-uk.asc
N 51.7518, W 1.2016