Disk cloning redux

J. Epperson Dell at epperson.homelinux.net
Tue Feb 3 21:49:39 CST 2009

On Fri, January 23, 2009 09:23, Harald_Jensas at dell.com wrote:
> If you only need to clone the system once I suggest you take the system
> offline for maintenance, do the cloning.
>
> But remember!
> What use is that clone to you in 2 weeks? Or 1 month?
>
> If you have to take the system offline again in once every few weeks or
> months to make sure you cloned data is recent enough to meet your DR
> recovery point objective this is probably not going to be the route to go
> anyway.

What I've done successfully is clone (using g4l) a server to an array not
marked for boot, boot the server off a different source, and mount the
cloned array under a /rsync.servername mountpoint, and keep it synced up
nightly with rsync over ssh using PKI authentication.  Depending on what
the source server is running, you may want to shut some services down for
the rsync (Oracle databases, etc).  Make the clone/rsync array bootable
and you're at a workable recovery point.  YMMV