Disk cloning redux

Stephen Dowdy sdowdy at ucar.edu
Tue Feb 3 17:33:46 CST 2009

Kirchner, Kenneth W CTR USA NETCOM/9TH SC A wrote, On 02/03/2009 03:51 PM:
> Sounds like you just played a digital form of Russian roulette. :-)
>
> Although, you did say 100% useable and not 100% reliable... I think I would at least drop to init level 1 if the server had any data I had any concern over.
>
> Glad it worked for you, though.
>
> Ken

I concur on that!  I've seen many people think it was good enough
because it appeared to work, but inevitably they all get burned
at some point.

In addition to dropping to runlevel-1,
I would also "sync; sync" before doing any 'dd' ops, too.

And i'd also run with a 'bs=4096k' or larger to pick up the
performance of the copy (it'll take less time, and you can
cross your fingers that that reduced time helps you skirt
a possible filesystem change in the interim ;) )

--stephen
--
Stephen Dowdy  -  Systems Administrator  -  NCAR/RAL
303.497.2869   -  sdowdy at ucar.edu        -  http://www.ral.ucar.edu/~sdowdy/