Expanding RAID5 guidance

christian.peper at kpn.com christian.peper at kpn.com
Tue Feb 3 04:39:37 CST 2009

Since you'll need to reboot anyway to insert disks and expand the radi5
array, it's best to use a liveCD. Perhaps Fedora or CentOS is best,
since it's very similar to RHEL. This also ensures all disks are
unmounted.

Boot from the liveCD. Login as root.
Go to a shell
fdisk /dev/sda (or use a GUI)
create sda11 on the new expanded RAID array

>    2.  How do I expand the file system?  Is this with
> resize2fs?  With disks mounted or unmounted?
AFAIK you can't expand sda10 to include sda11, not without LVM or so.
So you don't need to resize it. Instead you'll create an ecosystem2 and
add that to the samba server. Perhaps you can move some depts or groups
over to the new share to free up space on the old ecosystem partition.
mkdir /mnt/localdisk
mount /dev/sda /mnt/localdisk
cd /mnt/localdisk

Now you can access the local disk's root system and edit the samba
configuration

>    3.  Then I assume that I need to create a new entry in fstab?
Correct, similar to the existing one with its own mount point. You'll
also have to tell samba about the new share and apply proper file access
rights settings, groups, etc. to it.

>    4.  Then do I need to reboot in order to verify that I
> have the correct entry in fstab?
Yes, you'll doing all this from the liveCD

If things fail, you can reboot using the liveCD.
Since you don't delete any partition, just add a new one, nothing should
get lost or damaged. But you may mistype something in fstab or the samba
config.

Chris.