omreport storage battery -> Non-Critical (degraded)

Jeremy Eder jeder at invision.net
Sun Feb 1 13:23:37 CST 2009

Agreed, our probes watch the "global storage rollup" OID, and the raid battery recharging cycle changes this value to 4 when it occurs.

Since it is a matter of course for the controller to maintain it's own battery health, it should not trigger this false-positive.  As it is, we have procedures for NOC people to check raid-battery status before troubleshooting further - admittedly a kludge, but the alternative is not to have alerts on storage information at all, which is not acceptable.

As mentioned by Trond, of course we would want to know if there are problems during the charging cycle.  I understand where this came from - technically during a charging cycle, the raid battery is in a degraded state, so throw a warning.  However with thousands of dell servers, this quickly becomes white noise and conditions people to be less responsive to alarms.

What if you make this particular alarm adjustable through omconfig, and/or during the OMSA installer ?

Best Regards,

Jeremy Eder, RHCE, VCP