omconfig and "Operation disabled"

Mon Sep 29 11:01:59 CDT 2008

There is also an option to "clearforeignconfig". If you'd prefer to
follow this option you are more than welcome to. It really is a personal
preference.

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com
[mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of J. Epperson
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 10:42 AM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: RE: omconfig and "Operation disabled"

The part I'm not getting is _why_ we want to import a foreign config
from
a recycled hot spare disk.  Isn't whatever config is on it suspect at
this
point?  I would think clearing it and then reassigning as hot spare
would
be the way to go.  But all my PERC experience is with earlier
controllers
(both aacraid and megaraid).  I'd like to understand before I find
myself
in this situation.

On Mon, September 29, 2008 11:09, Patrick_Boyd at dell.com wrote:
> "importrecoverforeignconfig" is the correct action for PERC 5 with
> atleast a 5.2 firmware version present. This also includes PERC 6.
>

> "importforeignconfig" is the correct action for SAS 5, SAS 6, or PERC
5
> with lower than a 5.2 firmware.
>

> These operations have slightly different behavior so they were
separated.
> "importrecoverforeignconfig" has more intelligence.

The

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/svradmin/5.4/en/omss_ug/h
> tml/cli.html#1221846

'blink'
> and 'unblink'), but others give me inexplicable "Operation disabled"
> errors, and I can't find any documentation on when to expect a
particular
> command will be disabled.
>
> The immediate source of my problem is that a colleague pulled one of
the
> hot-spare drives from a running array as a test, and once
re-installed,
> the drive shows a status of "Foreign".  I'd like to be able to clear
this
> status, but everything I try returns the "operation disabled" result.
So
> far, I've tried initialize, clear, offlein, assignglobalhotspare,
remove,
> blink and unblink (I got a little punchy, just trying for things that
> might succeed), but none work.
>
> For reference, I'm using ubuntu with kernel 2.6.22-14 SMP, and a
> megaraid_smp driver 00.00.03.19 which I've manually upgraded.  Here's
the
> report for the drive in question:
>
> ID                        : 0:0:14 Status                    :
> Non-Critical Name                      : Physical Disk 0:0:14 State
> : Foreign Failure Predicted         : No Progress                  :
Not
:
> 931.00 GB (999653638144 bytes) Used RAID Disk Space      : 931.00 GB
> (999653638144 bytes) Available RAID Disk Space : 0.00 GB (0 bytes) Hot
> Spare                 : Dedicated Vendor ID                 : DELL
> Product ID                : Hitachi HUA721010KLA330 Revision
> : GKAOA74A Serial No.                : GTF000PBG5T9AFG5T9AF Negotiated
> Speed          : Not Available Capable Speed             : Not
Available
> Manufacture Day           : Not Available Manufacture Week          :
Not