omconfig and "Operation disabled"

Kurt_Olsson at Dell.com Kurt_Olsson at Dell.com
Fri Sep 26 10:14:17 CDT 2008

Foreign config is like dealing with parenthesis in Algebra... it must be
done before anything else can occur.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/svradmin/5.4/en/omss_ug/h
tml/cli.html#1221846

From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com
[mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Tim Robertson
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:54 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: omconfig and "Operation disabled"

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get the OMSA CLI working with a perc6e/MD1000 RAID array
combination.  I can get certain commands to work just fine (i.e. 'blink'
and 'unblink'), but others give me inexplicable "Operation disabled"
errors, and I can't find any documentation on when to expect a
particular command will be disabled.

The immediate source of my problem is that a colleague pulled one of the
hot-spare drives from a running array as a test, and once re-installed,
the drive shows a status of "Foreign".  I'd like to be able to clear
this status, but everything I try returns the "operation disabled"
result.  So far, I've tried initialize, clear, offlein,
assignglobalhotspare, remove, blink and unblink (I got a little punchy,
just trying for things that might succeed), but none work.

For reference, I'm using ubuntu with kernel 2.6.22-14 SMP, and a
megaraid_smp driver 00.00.03.19 which I've manually upgraded.  Here's
the report for the drive in question:

ID                        : 0:0:14
Status                    : Non-Critical
Name                      : Physical Disk 0:0:14
State                     : Foreign
Failure Predicted         : No
Progress                  : Not Applicable
Type                      : SATA
Capacity                  : 931.00 GB (999653638144 bytes)
Used RAID Disk Space      : 931.00 GB (999653638144 bytes)
Available RAID Disk Space : 0.00 GB (0 bytes)
Hot Spare                 : Dedicated
Vendor ID                 : DELL
Product ID                : Hitachi HUA721010KLA330
Revision                  : GKAOA74A
Serial No.                : GTF000PBG5T9AFG5T9AF
Negotiated Speed          : Not Available
Capable Speed             : Not Available
Manufacture Day           : Not Available
Manufacture Week          : Not Available
Manufacture Year          : Not Available
SAS Address               : 500221927B199A42

Does anyone have any hints or suggestions, or at least a pointer to
documentation for the "operation disabled" message?

Thanks in advance,
Tim