omconfig and "Operation disabled"

Tim Robertson tim at justin.tv
Thu Sep 25 15:54:20 CDT 2008

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get the OMSA CLI working with a perc6e/MD1000 RAID array
combination.  I can get certain commands to work just fine (i.e. 'blink' and
'unblink'), but others give me inexplicable "Operation disabled" errors, and
I can't find any documentation on when to expect a particular command will
be disabled.

The immediate source of my problem is that a colleague pulled one of the
hot-spare drives from a running array as a test, and once re-installed, the
drive shows a status of "Foreign".  I'd like to be able to clear this
status, but everything I try returns the "operation disabled" result.  So
far, I've tried initialize, clear, offlein, assignglobalhotspare, remove,
blink and unblink (I got a little punchy, just trying for things that might
succeed), but none work.

For reference, I'm using ubuntu with kernel 2.6.22-14 SMP, and a
megaraid_smp driver 00.00.03.19 which I've manually upgraded.  Here's the
report for the drive in question:

ID                        : 0:0:14
Status                    : Non-Critical
Name                      : Physical Disk 0:0:14
State                     : Foreign
Failure Predicted         : No
Progress                  : Not Applicable
Type                      : SATA
Capacity                  : 931.00 GB (999653638144 bytes)
Used RAID Disk Space      : 931.00 GB (999653638144 bytes)
Available RAID Disk Space : 0.00 GB (0 bytes)
Hot Spare                 : Dedicated
Vendor ID                 : DELL
Product ID                : Hitachi HUA721010KLA330
Revision                  : GKAOA74A
Serial No.                : GTF000PBG5T9AFG5T9AF
Negotiated Speed          : Not Available
Capable Speed             : Not Available
Manufacture Day           : Not Available
Manufacture Week          : Not Available
Manufacture Year          : Not Available
SAS Address               : 500221927B199A42

Does anyone have any hints or suggestions, or at least a pointer to
documentation for the "operation disabled" message?

Thanks in advance,
Tim