Connecting a External SAS enclosure to a Perc6/E

Nick_Parrott at Dell.com Nick_Parrott at Dell.com
Wed Sep 24 06:13:11 CDT 2008

Hi Seth,

The Dell SAS5/E is an LSI 1068 chipset, as is your recommended LSI
SAS3801E;

http://www.lsi.com/documentation/storage/hbas/sas/lsisas3801e_pb.pdf

So fingers crossed it does the trick, apologies, didn't check the spec
on the A24S-R2130 before responding before..

-----Original Message-----
From: Seth Mos [mailto:seth.mos at xs4all.nl]
Sent: 24 September 2008 11:02
To: Parrott, Nick
Cc: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Re: Connecting a External SAS enclosure to a Perc6/E

Nick_Parrott at dell.com schreef:
> Hi Seth,
>
> I'd be tempted to think that because these disks aren't validated by
> Dell (not sure of the spec, but it's unlikely) that the PERC won't
> display them or allow you to use them. There are lists of these disks
if
> you want them, I can dig them out, but they are all listed under the
> MD1000/3000 docs.

The Infortrend A24S is a SAS attached SATA disk raid array. The
Infortrend is a entire raid box with dual controllers and disk cache and

BBU units.

So I've ordered 2 SAS5E HBA adapters with our account manager, expecting

that a straight through SAS adapter will probably work a lot better.

Infortrend does list a LSI Logic PCIe SAS controller in the HCL for the
Infortrend so I suspect this might work a lot better.
SAS HBA: LSI SAS3801E PCI-Ex8

I am not sure if this is the same controller as the SAS 5E but I am
expecting it to be similar.

Thanks for the suggestions and the help!

Kind regards,

Seth