Connecting a External SAS enclosure to a Perc6/E

Nick_Parrott at Dell.com Nick_Parrott at Dell.com
Tue Sep 23 09:16:30 CDT 2008

Hi Seth,

I'd be tempted to think that because these disks aren't validated by
Dell (not sure of the spec, but it's unlikely) that the PERC won't
display them or allow you to use them. There are lists of these disks if
you want them, I can dig them out, but they are all listed under the
MD1000/3000 docs.

You need either a different HBA or array :-(

Regards,

Nick

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com
[mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Seth Mos
Sent: 23 September 2008 12:00
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Connecting a External SAS enclosure to a Perc6/E

Hello,

I am trying to connect a PowerEdge R805 with a Perc6/E add in board to a

Infortrend A24S-R2130 SAS array.

The link lights on the Perc6/E on the rear come on as well as on the
Rear of the Infortrend unit.

I have created a LUN on the Infortrend A24S which is exported via
channel0 on the rear which is connected to channel0 on the Perc6/E.

When I enter the Ctrl-R menu on the Perc6/E I see no unconfigured disks.
When I got the PD Mgmt page in the Ctrl-R bios I see only the following
entry:

Drive	ID	Vendor	Size	Type	State	DG
--:--:	17	IFT	0	SAS	Failed

On the right of this in the info box it correctly displays the Product
ID A24S-R2130, revision 361B, Write Cache N/A, Smart Status No error,
Operation None.

Can anyone explain what is going wrong here?

Kind regards,

Seth Mos