Kernel Panic on PE2850

christian.peper at kpn.com christian.peper at kpn.com
Mon Sep 22 03:00:48 CDT 2008

Brian,

I don't the solution nor a workaround or so, but we've been seeing
similar issues with the vCD-ROM drive on our PE 2950. We sometimes see a
lot of errors on the console even though the servers do't use the
virtual CD-ROM at all.

Sep  1 15:36:26 host1 kernel: hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
Sep  1 15:36:26 host1 kernel: hda: irq timeout: error=0x00
Sep  1 15:36:26 host1 kernel: hda: ATAPI reset complete

Google seems to point to DMA issues or settings. hdparam showed some
problem trying to read device parameters, which makes sense to me as
there is no image mounted in the vCD-ROM and it's virtual...

[root at host1:NODB ~] hdparm /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
 HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Invalid argument
 IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
 using_dma    =  0 (off)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    = 256 (on)
 HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument
[root at host1:NODB ~]

Other than this, I have no more information...
Chris.