Jumbo frames on PE 1950

Tom Pierce thpierce at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 14:27:14 CDT 2008

Matt,
You need to have your ethernet network support 9000 MTU. Most are not
configured for it.
You have to configure the switch/router(s) to pass on 9000 mtu packets.

ifconfig eth0 will tell you if your machine ethernet card is capable of
setting a mtu of 9000. Usually when you set it it wither works or it tells
you that the driver does not support 9000 byte packets.

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 6:36 PM, Matt Lawrence <matt.lawrence at tamu.edu>wrote:

> I'm running CentOS 5.2 with a much more recent kernel on a bunch of PE
> 1950 systems.  I have set the maximum MTU on the switch to 9000 and I'm
> trying to make jumbo frames work.  No luck so far, with any MTU greater
> than 1500,  netperf just gets the error: netperf: receive_response: no
> response received. errno 110 counter 0
>
> Any idea what I have missed?
>
> -- Matt

Thanks