Ubuntu 7.04 and PE SC1435

John LLOYD jal at mdacorporation.com
Thu Sep 18 13:34:15 CDT 2008

Try rebooting your NIS server; we've seen memory leaks getting out of
hand and as a result the yp servers get dumb.

 % ps -p `pgrep yp -d,` -o pid,vsz,rss,comm

If VSZ >> RSS then assume memory leak.  Here is our winbindd for example
(on a solaris box)

$ ps -p `pgrep bind -d,` -o pid,vsz,rss,comm
  PID  VSZ  RSS COMMAND
  515 3184 1880 /usr/sbin/rpcbind
23590 359912 8352 /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd

clearly there is a leak, and it needs a reboot.

--John