Kernel Panic on PE2850

Brian O'Mahony brian.omahony at curamsoftware.com
Thu Sep 18 07:22:13 CDT 2008

We had a 2850 abend abnormally an hour ago. We could ssh in, but all filesystems were complaining about being mounted RO. They were listed in mount as RW.

There was a PSU 1 error in the logs and on LCD. We got the following for about 5 mins:

Sep 18 16:12:49 ccvob01_blrpr kernel: hdf: status error: status=0x7f {
DriveReady DeviceFault SeekComplete DataRequest CorrectedErro
r Index Error }
Sep 18 16:12:49 ccvob01_blrpr kernel: hdf: status error:
error=0x7fIllegalLengthIndication EndOfMedia Aborted Command MediaChangeReq
uested LastFailedSense 0x07
Sep 18 16:12:49 ccvob01_blrpr kernel: hdf: drive not ready for command
Sep 18 16:12:50 ccvob01_blrpr kernel: hdf: ATAPI reset complete

Once we logged in, we were not able to do things lie ps etc - prob due to the RO.

A hard reboot fixed the system.

[root at ccvob01_blrpr log]# dmesg | grep hdf
    ide2: MMIO-DMA , BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
hdf: VIRTUALCDROM DRIVE, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdf: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x40 { DriveReady }

---

Why did the machine suddenly fall over?