Servers unable to connect to their own DRAC

David Duncan davdunc at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 16:20:41 CDT 2008

What version of IPMITool are you using?
Have you looked over the howto for installing ipmitool + OpenIPMI on
Debian? http://buttersideup.com/docs/howto/IPMI_on_Debian.html
Is that relevant to your deployment?  Are you having difficulty using
local serial access after loading the serial device?

I think that everything you need for local access should be in that article.

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 8:46 AM, Matthias Saou
<thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net>
wrote:
> Michael Simpson wrote :
>
>> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Michael Marshall
>> <Michael.Marshall at lbfire.org.uk> wrote:
>> > *cough* Install Windows *cough*
>> >
>> > Seriously though, pinging the DRAC IP (set to use the discrete DRAC RJ45
>> > port) is working here on a 2950 and 1950 with W2003 installed, so
>> > perhaps it's not a hardware issue?  Perhaps the NIC driver has to do
>> > something funny for the port sharing option? Or the switch is getting
>> > confused with something?
>> >
>> > Is your DRAC on the same subnet/vlan as the server?
>> >

>> > Michael.
>>
>> Yeah windows doesn't seem to mind 2+ interfaces on the same subnet but
>> linux hasn't tolerated this for a while now.
>> Seems to upset the kernel routing internals.
>>
>> Try putting the DRAC onto a different subnet stick a static route back
>> to it into the switch/router and see if that makes any difference
>
> Thanks for reporting a working configuration! I'm assuming from this
> that I should be able to get it working too...
>
> One setting I've always changed for all DRACs is to enable IPMI on the
> DRAC. Maybe this is what's causing problems?
>
> I really don't think the problem is Linux specific, though, since I
> have the problem even when using the DRAC's dedicated port (which should
> have it be completely independent from the server/OS). The only way it
> could be related is if for some reason the OS thinks it can reach the
> DRAC MAC address through some other way than over the external RJ45
> link it has to it, but that doesn't seem to be the case from what I've
> tested.
>
> I'll keep digging, but thanks for the feedback!
>
> Matthias
>
> --
> Clean custom Red Hat Linux rpm packages : http://freshrpms.net/
> Fedora release 9 (Sulphur) - Linux kernel 2.6.26.3-29.fc9.x86_64
> Load : 0.11 0.14 0.10

David Duncan

Registered Linux User #279425
http://counter.li.org