Servers unable to connect to their own DRAC

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Tue Sep 16 08:46:06 CDT 2008

Michael Simpson wrote :

> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Michael Marshall
> <Michael.Marshall at lbfire.org.uk> wrote:
> > *cough* Install Windows *cough*
> >
> > Seriously though, pinging the DRAC IP (set to use the discrete DRAC RJ45
> > port) is working here on a 2950 and 1950 with W2003 installed, so
> > perhaps it's not a hardware issue?  Perhaps the NIC driver has to do
> > something funny for the port sharing option? Or the switch is getting
> > confused with something?
> >
> > Is your DRAC on the same subnet/vlan as the server?
> >

> > Michael.
>
> Yeah windows doesn't seem to mind 2+ interfaces on the same subnet but
> linux hasn't tolerated this for a while now.
> Seems to upset the kernel routing internals.
>
> Try putting the DRAC onto a different subnet stick a static route back
> to it into the switch/router and see if that makes any difference

Thanks for reporting a working configuration! I'm assuming from this
that I should be able to get it working too...

One setting I've always changed for all DRACs is to enable IPMI on the
DRAC. Maybe this is what's causing problems?

I really don't think the problem is Linux specific, though, since I
have the problem even when using the DRAC's dedicated port (which should
have it be completely independent from the server/OS). The only way it
could be related is if for some reason the OS thinks it can reach the
DRAC MAC address through some other way than over the external RJ45
link it has to it, but that doesn't seem to be the case from what I've
tested.

I'll keep digging, but thanks for the feedback!

Matthias

Fedora release 9 (Sulphur) - Linux kernel 2.6.26.3-29.fc9.x86_64
Load : 0.11 0.14 0.10