Servers unable to connect to their own DRAC

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Tue Sep 16 07:05:33 CDT 2008

Matthias Saou wrote :

> Patrick_Fischer at Dell.com wrote :
>
> > "when using a DRAC with
> > its dedicated RJ45 port and not shared on the server's NIC1, things
> > still don't work."
> > What for example doesn't work???
> >
> > What server model and drac model?
>
> Sorry for omitting so many details. This happens with PE1950, PE2950
> and DRAC5s. I've always enabled IPMI on the DRAC address (first DRAC
> configure option), which might play a role.
>
> What doesn't work is the following :
>  * Configure an IP address on NIC1 of a server running GNU/Linux
>  * Configure an IP address of the same network on the DRAC of the server
>  * You can ping both addresses from any other host on the network
>  * You can't ping the DRAC's IP address from the same server's GNU/Linux
>
> This is true for all hosts. If you have two and configure them in a
> similar way, then each of them can ping the other's DRAC IP address but
> not its own.
>
> People have suggested running ipmitool on the command line as a
> workaround. This doesn't work in my situation since I have a GNU/Linux
> installation doing routing, and since traffic to its DRAC flows through
> itself, no outside hosts (think remote monitoring server) can reach its
> DRAC. This is a major bummer ;-)
>
> I hope I've made myself a bit more clear.
>
> For servers with no DRACs, only the BMC, or for servers where the DRAC
> is configured to share NIC1, I can understand this to be somewhat
> normal since both MAC addresses share the same physical interface (etc.
> see Fred's answer from more details). But what I've outlined happens
> when using the DRAC's dedicated RJ45 port.

Seems like no one has a clue about this. But as I've seen this on *ALL*
PowerEdge servers on which I've used BMCs and DRACs, I'd be really
surprised if I were the only one to experience the problem.

Has no one else ever bumped into this issue?

It's an easy test on any PowerEdge with a BMC or DRAC IP address
configured :
 * Log into your GNU/Linux installation on the server
 * Try to ping the BMC or DRAC IP address of the server itself

If it works, then I'd love to know with which settings or tricks!

Matthias

Fedora release 9 (Sulphur) - Linux kernel 2.6.26.3-29.fc9.x86_64
Load : 0.08 0.14 0.14