Unknown CD-ROM errors

Stephan Wonczak a0033 at rrz.uni-koeln.de
Mon Sep 15 04:02:45 CDT 2008

   Hi Dimitri!

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008, Dimitri Yioulos wrote:

> Colleagues,
>
> I'm running CentOS 3, all nicely updated to latest kernel-hugemem and various
> packages, in a PE 2400 and PE 6400.  For the past few couple of weeks, I been
> getting the following errors every 5 minutes to stdout:
>
> Sep 11 08:05:04 norwell kernel: hda: drive_cmd: error=0x04Aborted Command
> Sep 11 08:00:04 norwell kernel: hda: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady
> SeekComplete Error }
<snip>

   We also see these messages since ages, albeit only very sporadically.
Since we do not really use our CDROMs and it is indeed related to there
being no medium in the drive, we chose to ignore them as a cosmetic
problem.
   One workaround may be to simply put a (non-bootable) medium into the
drive to get ot to shut up. Not really nice, but it should work.

   Cheers from Cologne,

 	Dipl. Chem. Dr. Stephan Wonczak

         Zentrum fuer Angewandte Informatik (ZAIK)
         Regionales Rechenzentrum der Universitaet zu Koeln (RRZK)
         Universitaet zu Koeln, Robert-Koch-Strasse 10, 50931 Koeln
         Tel: ++49/(0)221/478-5577, Fax: ++49/(0)221/478-5590