MD1000 connected with two SAS cables in unified mode

Jeff Ewing jewing at aconex.com
Sun Sep 14 23:01:16 CDT 2008

>From what I understand of the MD1000 EMMs, there is failover, but only
for the management communications to the chassis, there is no data path
failover.. so losing the active EMM/connection will result in the PERC
needing to re-init (host reboot). This limitation is determined by the
PERC..

> Maybe anyone else who's done this before can comment on it's success..

I had a spare MD1000 so I performed some data path tests.

* Both cables connected in unified mode.

  The primary path was disconnected.

  - The data was inaccessible.

* Rebooted

  - The data was accessible down the alternate path.

* Shutdown, reconnected the primary cable and restarted.

   -The data was accessible (although the RAID array went into
    a rebuilding state)

For me this appears to provide the required path redundancy (using
a reboot). A reboot is an acceptable cost compared with organizing
onsite technicians at the Data Centre in the case of a path failure.

Jeff