Unknown CD-ROM errors

Shyam_Iyer at Dell.com Shyam_Iyer at Dell.com
Fri Sep 12 10:15:15 CDT 2008

Dimitri wrote:
> Shyam wrote:
> > I would suspect hal to be doing that though I am not sure since you
> > are using CentOS 3.
> >
> > If stopping the hal service to go away can you check if CentOS3
allows
> > for this. (Don't have a setup to try this out)
> >
> > Check if you have some files under /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/ that
do
> > a test on media check.
> >
> > Typicall the file would be a *.fdi file and would contain a key with
> > some string like this -
> >
> > "storage.media_check_enabled". If you make this check "false" then
hal
> > would stop check for this.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Shyam Iyer
> >
> > Linux Engineering

> Shyam,

> I really appreciate the quick response.  Alas, HAL isn't running on
the CentOS
> 3 systems (but is on our CentOS 4 and 5 systems).  Any other ideas?

Uh ok sorry. Do you have lvm on your system? It is possible that your CD
drive is in the lvm cache file. Search /etc/lvm/.cache file for CD. I
have sometimes seen that this problem goes away by removing the CD from
the lvm cache.
Now, I think this could have crept it in if you did a CD install.

-Shyam