Unknown CD-ROM errors

Shyam_Iyer at Dell.com Shyam_Iyer at Dell.com
Fri Sep 12 07:47:25 CDT 2008

>I'm running CentOS 3, all nicely updated to latest kernel-hugemem and
various packages, in a PE 2400 and PE 6400.  For the past few couple of
weeks, I been getting the following errors every 5 >minutes to stdout:

>Sep 11 08:05:04 norwell kernel: hda: drive_cmd: error=0x04Aborted
Command Sep 11 08:00:04 norwell kernel: hda: drive_cmd: status=0x51 {
DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

>My take on it is that something is cauing the CD-ROM to be read, but
since there's no disc in the drive, I'm getting these errors (please
correct me if I'm wrong).  No issues on any other PEs running >more
recent versions of CentOS.  >I've posted the problem to a CentOS 3
forum, but have gotten no response.

I would suspect hal to be doing that though I am not sure since you are
using CentOS 3.

If stopping the hal service to go away can you check if CentOS3 allows
for this. (Don't have a setup to try this out)

Check if you have some files under /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/ that do a
test on media check.

Typicall the file would be a *.fdi file and would contain a key with
some string like this -

"storage.media_check_enabled". If you make this check "false" then hal
would stop check for this.

Thanks,

Shyam Iyer

Linux Engineering