bnx2id and iscsi

Ray Charles raycharles_man at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 12 01:31:11 CDT 2008

Hi,

I have a PE1950 with the dual GigE broadcom onboard nics.
It came with RHEL5, which i upgraded to 5.2 and load into the stock xen kernel.
 Linux xenbox 2.6.18-92.el5xen #1 SMP Tue Apr 29 13:31:30 EDT 2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I wanted to use the bnx2id for the initiator but it appears that it may be broken. So i am using the other stock utilities iscsi-initiator-utils(iscsi-initiator-utils-6.2.0.868-0.7.el5). I have set up  the InitiatorName as well i have created the iscsi.conf file, followed the guides i've found with google. However, I still don't see the initiator or even the ifaces in /var/lib/iscsi/ifaces.

The most info reported back is the following error.. which can't be accurate because i have carefully set up the Initiator file, no white-space or funny characters etc.

iscsistart: InitiatorName not set. Exiting iscsistart

Is iscsi just a broken feature for this version of RHEL-5 ?

-tia