Migrating raid1 valumes from PERC 6/iR to PERC 5/i

Wed Sep 10 16:14:03 CDT 2008

Yes it will work out of the box. Under certain circumstances you may
need to enter the option ROM to import the foreign configuration, but in
general the card will do that for you.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lazy [mailto:lazy404 at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:04 PM
To: Boyd, Patrick
Cc: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Re: Migrating raid1 valumes from PERC 6/iR to PERC 5/i

2008/9/10  <Patrick_Boyd at dell.com>:
> Your title and your email don't exactly say the same thing so let me
see
> if I can cover all the cases:

right we have a
SAS 6I/R INTEGRATED CONTROLLER FOR C1
i don't know how i got it mixed

there is no such thing as perc 6/iR

> SAS 5 to PERC 5  = This is supported.
> SAS 5 to PERC 6  = This is supported.
> SAS 5 to SAS 6   = This is supported.
> SAS 6 to PERC 6  = This is supported.
this is us, great

will it work out of the box ?
do we have to watch out for something ?

> SAS 6 to PERC 5  = This is not supported.
> SAS 6 to SAS 5   = This is not supported.
> PERC 5 to PERC 6 = This is supported.
> PERC 5 to SAS 5  = This is not supported.
> PERC 5 to SAS 6  = This is not supported.
> PERC 6 to PERC 5 = This is not supported.
> PERC 6 to SAS 5  = This is not supported.
> PERC 6 to SAS 6  = This is not supported.
>
> I don't think I missed anything. Essentially SAS => PERC is fine, 5 =>
6
> is fine, PERC => SAS is bad, and 6 => 5 is bad. You may get these to
> work under some situations, but it isn't recommended or supported by
> Dell.
>
> I hope that answers your question.

Yes. Thank you wery much. I will save us moving around 80Gigs of data
on funny hours.

--
Lazy