Servers unable to connect to their own DRAC

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Wed Sep 10 12:59:35 CDT 2008

(re-sending to the list, I had replied to Patrick only by mistake)

Patrick_Fischer at Dell.com wrote :

> "when using a DRAC with
> its dedicated RJ45 port and not shared on the server's NIC1, things
> still don't work."
> What for example doesn't work???
>
> What server model and drac model?

Sorry for omitting so many details. This happens with PE1950, PE2950
and DRAC5s. I've always enabled IPMI on the DRAC address (first DRAC
configure option), which might play a role.

What doesn't work is the following :
 * Configure an IP address on NIC1 of a server running GNU/Linux
 * Configure an IP address of the same network on the DRAC of the server
 * You can ping both addresses from any other host on the network
 * You can't ping the DRAC's IP address from the same server's GNU/Linux

This is true for all hosts. If you have two and configure them in a
similar way, then each of them can ping the other's DRAC IP address but
not its own.

People have suggested running ipmitool on the command line as a
workaround. This doesn't work in my situation since I have a GNU/Linux
installation doing routing, and since traffic to its DRAC flows through
itself, no outside hosts (think remote monitoring server) can reach its
DRAC. This is a major bummer ;-)

I hope I've made myself a bit more clear.

For servers with no DRACs, only the BMC, or for servers where the DRAC
is configured to share NIC1, I can understand this to be somewhat
normal since both MAC addresses share the same physical interface (etc.
see Fred's answer from more details). But what I've outlined happens
when using the DRAC's dedicated RJ45 port.

Matthias

Fedora release 9 (Sulphur) - Linux kernel 2.6.25.11-97.fc9.x86_64
Load : 0.20 0.23 0.18