Servers unable to connect to their own DRAC

Patrick_Fischer at Dell.com Patrick_Fischer at Dell.com
Wed Sep 10 03:19:47 CDT 2008

Hello,

"when using a DRAC with
its dedicated RJ45 port and not shared on the server's NIC1, things
still don't work."
What for example doesn't work???

What server model and drac model?

For IPMI monitoring IPMI standard 2.0 is enough, if you have a new
server the bmc supports ipmi 2.0 in the older only 1.5 and you will get
less information until no drac is installed.

I also don't understand the exact problem at the moment.

Hi,

I'm pretty sure many on this list are familiar with this limitation :
Servers can't seem to connect to their own BMC or DRAC IP address.
I'm still not sure what the reason for this is, but so be it.

What I really don't understand, though, is that when using a DRAC with
its dedicated RJ45 port and not shared on the server's NIC1, things
still don't work.

Since the DRAC is supposed to be physically separate from the rest of
the server, I really don't understand how this setup can't work. I've
tried forcing the DRAC MAC address to the NIC1 interface with no luck.

Does anyone know of a fix or workaround? Or the reason for all this?

The problem here is not to get the serial console or reboot the server,
it's for IPMI monitoring from the server itself.

Matthias

Fedora release 9 (Sulphur) - Linux kernel 2.6.25.11-97.fc9.x86_64
Load : 0.12 0.20 0.40