linux + firefox + drac 5 console = no go?

Aaron dell at microchp.org
Tue Sep 9 13:43:16 CDT 2008

Terry Gliedt wrote:
> christian.peper at kpn.com wrote:
>
>>> Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 05:16:34 -0800
>>> From: "Alec O'Neill" <alec.oneill at inbox.com>
>>> Subject: linux + firefox + drac 5 console = no go?
>>> To: linux-poweredge at dell.com
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is anyone else having problems accessing system consoles
>>> using linux + firefox + drac 5?
>>>
>>> I can access the DRAC, but when I hit "Console Redirect" I get a
>>> and then nothing but an hourglass.
>>>
>>> Our security team checked the FW logs, but there's nothing there.
>>> I know this used to work.  My guess is that one of the recent
>>> updates (to linux or firefox) screwed this up.
>>>
>> Then you know more than I do. We have never gotten it too work. neither
>> in FF1, FF2 or FF3... Sad but true. Sticking to VM with IE6 and no
>> security, with VM set to discard changes upon shutdown. Works fine.
>>

> I second this too. I've stopped ordering machines with DRAC since the
> only function I really need from them is a remote console and it has not
> worked for me for a very long time.
>
> In fact when IBM recent matched Dell on a bid I gladly jumped to using
> their gear since their RAS remote console actually works. As you can
> guess, it's a sore point with me since ALL of my machines are remote.

Ditto.   I find them useful for power on/off, but for console it is
completely useless.  I don't have any windows machines and thus do not
have IE6 un-patched.  I am not going to waste a VM for a windows install
and even if I were, it is against policy to install windows.  Hopefully
they are working on a firmware upgrade that completely changes the
console architecture.  In the mean time I am looking for alternative
cards.  We had a KVM solution but it was horrible and that is why we
started getting the DRACs with all the servers.  I was not the one who
tested the DRAC.   :-(