linux + firefox + drac 5 console = no go?

Ben bda20 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 8 09:19:07 CDT 2008

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008, Robert von Bismarck wrote:

>> [DRAC fails to work with $SUBJECT coombination]
>>
>> I second this too. I've stopped ordering machines with DRAC since the
>> only function I really need from them is a remote console and it has not
>> worked for me for a very long time.
>>
>> In fact when IBM recent matched Dell on a bid I gladly jumped to using
>> their gear since their RAS remote console actually works. As you can
>> guess, it's a sore point with me since ALL of my machines are remote.
>>

> I second (third?) this as well. The DRAC is really below par for remote
> console access. On a side note, we had very good experience with the
> remote access boards of the newer Sun x86 gear, with either text-mode (via
> ssh) or graphical console using a java (yuck!) client, but sadly Sun still
> can't match Dell for the pricing.

Another vote here for Sun's iLOM stuff.  It Just Works.  Dell would do well
to take a look at (for example) an x4400 M2 chassis for layout, BIOS options
(AMI) and lights out management administration.  Sun's stuff blows a PE 2950
III with a DRAC out of the water.  The graphical (KVM) and serial console
access is flawless when used from a linux (RHEL5/FF3.0.1/Sun JRE 1.6)
workstation.

Ben
         Life Is Short.          It's All Good.