linux + firefox + drac 5 console = no go?

Robert von Bismarck robert.vonbismarck at vtx-telecom.ch
Mon Sep 8 09:09:10 CDT 2008

> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Is anyone else having problems accessing system consoles
> >> using linux + firefox + drac 5?
> >>
> >> I can access the DRAC, but when I hit "Console Redirect" I get a
> >> and then nothing but an hourglass.
> >>
> >> Our security team checked the FW logs, but there's nothing there.
> >> I know this used to work.  My guess is that one of the
> recent updates
> >> (to linux or firefox) screwed this up.
> >
> > Then you know more than I do. We have never gotten it too work.
> > neither in FF1, FF2 or FF3... Sad but true. Sticking to VM with IE6
> > and no security, with VM set to discard changes upon
> shutdown. Works fine.
>
> I second this too. I've stopped ordering machines with DRAC
> since the only function I really need from them is a remote
> console and it has not worked for me for a very long time.
>
> In fact when IBM recent matched Dell on a bid I gladly jumped
> to using their gear since their RAS remote console actually
> works. As you can guess, it's a sore point with me since ALL
> of my machines are remote.

I second (third?) this as well. The DRAC is really below par for remote
console access.
On a side note, we had very good experience with the remote access
boards of the newer Sun x86 gear, with either text-mode (via ssh) or
graphical console using a java (yuck!) client, but sadly Sun still can't
match Dell for the pricing.