linux + firefox + drac 5 console = no go?

Terry Gliedt tpg at umich.edu
Mon Sep 8 08:14:59 CDT 2008

christian.peper at kpn.com wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 05:16:34 -0800
>> From: "Alec O'Neill" <alec.oneill at inbox.com>
>> Subject: linux + firefox + drac 5 console = no go?
>> To: linux-poweredge at dell.com
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is anyone else having problems accessing system consoles
>> using linux + firefox + drac 5?
>>
>> I can access the DRAC, but when I hit "Console Redirect" I get a
>> and then nothing but an hourglass.
>>
>> Our security team checked the FW logs, but there's nothing there.
>> I know this used to work.  My guess is that one of the recent
>> updates (to linux or firefox) screwed this up.
>
> Then you know more than I do. We have never gotten it too work. neither
> in FF1, FF2 or FF3... Sad but true. Sticking to VM with IE6 and no
> security, with VM set to discard changes upon shutdown. Works fine.

I second this too. I've stopped ordering machines with DRAC since the
only function I really need from them is a remote console and it has not
worked for me for a very long time.

In fact when IBM recent matched Dell on a bid I gladly jumped to using
their gear since their RAS remote console actually works. As you can
guess, it's a sore point with me since ALL of my machines are remote.