Daisy chaining of Dell M1000e CMC's (DRACs)

Andreas_Fuchs at Dell.com Andreas_Fuchs at Dell.com
Fri Sep 5 08:41:49 CDT 2008

You have to upgrade to CMC FW 1.2:

Daisy-chain CMC Network Connection

If you have multiple chassis in a rack, you can reduce the number of
connections to the management network by daisy-chaining up to four chassis
together. If each of four chassis contains a redundant CMC, by daisy-chaining
you reduce the number of management network connections required from
eight to two. If each chassis has only one CMC, you reduce the connections
required from four to one.

When daisy-chaining chassis together, GB1 is the "uplink" port and STK is
the "stacking" port. A GB1 port must connect to the management network or
to the STK port of the CMC in a chassis that is closer to network. The STK
port must only receive a connection from a GB1 port further from the chain.
Create separate chains for the CMCs in the primary CMC slot and the
second CMC slot.

Follow these steps to daisy-chain up to four chassis:
1 Connect the GB1 port of the primary CMC in the first chassis to the management network.
2 Connect the GB1 port of the primary CMC in the second chassis to the STK port of the primary CMC in the first chassis.
3 If you have a third chassis, connect the GB1 port of its primary CMC to the STK port of the primary CMC in the second chassis.
4 If you have a fourth chassis, connect the GB1 port of its primary CMC to the STK port of the third chassis.
5 If you have redundant CMCs in the chassis, connect them using the same pattern.

NOTICE: The STK port on any CMC must never be connected to the management network. It can only be connected to the GB1 port on another chassis. Connecting a STK port to the management network can disrupt the network.
NOTE: Never connect a primary CMC to a secondary CMC.
NOTE: Resetting a CMC whose STK port is chained to another CMC can disrupt the network for CMCs later in the chain. The "child" CMCs may log messages indicating that the network link has been lost and they may fail over to their redundant CMCs.

Regards
Andreas