replacing PERC5/i by PERC6/i for performance?
linux-poweredge.lists at tisc.de
Thu Sep 4 02:19:39 CDT 2008
I heard that the PERC6 controllers are faster than PERC5. I've got a
PE2900 here which does I/O mainly (it's our BackupPC server). To
optimize performance, I'm going to do:
1. add some more memory - the machine currently has 2 GB (I hope that
some more disk cache will speed things up)
2. convert RAID5 to RAID10 by adding one disk to each of my two internal
3. replace PERC5/i by PERC6/i
1. Is the PERC5/i (and 6/i) able to reconfigure a RAID5 to RAID10
on-the-fly without losing data? I've got OMSA 5.2 installed.
2. Will I get any speed improvement by switching to PERC6? I suppose it
is able to take over the existing configuration?
"What we nourish flourishes." - "Was wir nähren erblüht."
More information about the Linux-PowerEdge