replacing PERC5/i by PERC6/i for performance?

Tino Schwarze linux-poweredge.lists at tisc.de
Thu Sep 4 02:19:39 CDT 2008

Hi there,

I heard that the PERC6 controllers are faster than PERC5. I've got a
PE2900 here which does I/O mainly (it's our BackupPC server). To
optimize performance, I'm going to do:

1. add some more memory - the machine currently has 2 GB (I hope that
   some more disk cache will speed things up)
2. convert RAID5 to RAID10 by adding one disk to each of my two internal
   arrays
3. replace PERC5/i by PERC6/i

My questions:
1. Is the PERC5/i (and 6/i) able to reconfigure a RAID5 to RAID10
   on-the-fly without losing data? I've got OMSA 5.2 installed.
2. Will I get any speed improvement by switching to PERC6? I suppose it
   is able to take over the existing configuration?

Thanks,

Tino.

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de