dell 1850 eth0 transmit timeout.

Timothy Ward tward at Narus.com
Tue Sep 2 22:19:39 CDT 2008

Hello All,

I have a number of dell 1850 servers. Over the course of the last few months a few of them have become unresponsive after a reboot. It appears that the interface (eth0) is going down after startup. I find the following message in the system log:

e1000: eth0: e1000_watchdog: NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex
NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
Brining the interface down and then back with ifconfig adds identical messages to the system log.

I've 'fixed' this by replacing the ailing chassis with a known-good. This would be an acceptable approach except I will soon be running out of 1850s.

Has anyone run across this issue? Anyone have suggestions on how to properly fix this?

Regards,
Tim