RAID5 array from PERC/5i to PERC 6/I

Tue Sep 2 12:22:50 CDT 2008

The data layout on these is compatible. You may be prompted that the configuration is foreign. Simply import it and you shouldn't have any problems.

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com [mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Laurent PELLISSIER
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 9:57 AM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: RAID5 array from PERC/5i to PERC 6/I

Hi all,

I'd bought severall PowerEdge 2950 with built in RAID 5 hardware
controler. Unfortunatly some are PERC 5/i and some are PERC 6/i. Can I
move a bunch of RAID 5 disks from a PERC 5/i to a PERC 6/i server and
also from PERC 6/i to PERC 5/i ? One server is a global spare for the
others.

I don't know if the distributed parity RAID5 format is the same between
both controler models.

Best regards,

--
Laurent PELLISSIER @ Ecole des Mines d'Alès