Extending Virtual Disk and LVM online.

Ibrahim Al Hamed ottawainfo at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 13:07:33 CDT 2008

Dear Sir,

I am currently installing Red Hat Enterprise version 3 WS on Dell PowerEdge
SC440, I used the Dell Systeem Builds and Update utility ver. 1.0.0-365, it
said on the operating system that this version of Red Hat is not supported,
is there any work around on this situation? your reply will be highly
appreciated. please note the following details:

server type - DELL PowerEdge SC440 - with Intel Xeon 64bit
HDD - IDE 160 gb

Thank you and Best regards,

On 6/28/08, Paul M. Dyer <pmdyer at ctgcentral2.com> wrote:

> You could try this to get the new device size recognized.   If it doesn't
> work, then reboot will do it for you.
>
> echo "scsi scan-new-devices" > /proc/scsi/scsi
>
> partprobe is used for the situation where you have added partitions.
>
> After you get fdisk to recognize the new size, the next step is to extend
> the ext3 filesystem:
>
> ext2online /dev/sda6 (or whatever the partition number is)
>
> ext2online works on mounted ext2/ext3 filesystems.
>
> Paul

Eng. IBRAHIM ZEER (PE)
OTTAWA TECH. ENGINEER
P O  BOX   221891
RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA   11311
TEL CELL : +966-50-610-5487
OFFICE:+966-1-276-6462  FAX EXT.135
e-mail :ottawainfo at gmail.com

This e-mail is confidential and may contain trade secrets, in particular of
technical nature, or other privileged, undisclosed or confidential
information or otherwise legally privileged information. It is intended only
for the addressees. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly notify
us immediately by telephone or e-mail and delete the message from your
system. E-mail is susceptible to data corruption, interception, unauthorised
amendment, tampering and viruses, and we only send and receive e-mails on
the basis that we are not liable for any such corruption, interception,
unauthorised amendment, tampering and viruses or any consequences thereof."