Linux installatio on RAID 5/6

Tino Schwarze linux-poweredge.lists at tisc.de
Sun Jun 29 06:34:25 CDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 07:37:09AM +0000, ammad shah wrote:

> I want to install RHEL 4 on ibm x3650(intel) having RAID 8k adapter
> with 5 SAS drives. i want to configure hardware raid 5 or 6 on this
> server.

Sorry, this is not the right list for IBM hardware questions.

> My question is can i install linux on this (RAID) or not, becuase i
> heard that /boot should be on RAID 1.

This should only matter for software RAID (where the bootloader needs to
load the kernel and initrd from disk). If you use hardware RAID, the OS
sees the whole RAID as a single disk and the bootloader accesses the
disk via BIOS, so any RAID leven should work.

HTH,

Tino.

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de