Changing a drive in predictable failure state

Tue Jun 17 10:10:29 CDT 2008

Best case steps for this (least possible chance of losing data):

1. perform a consistency check on the vd
2. when the CC has finished, issue the offline command to the SMART disk
3. remove SMART disk
4. replace with replacement drive
5. If rebuild has not started after 5 minutes, assign the replacement
drive as a dedicated hotspare to the vd

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com
[mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of
Patrick_Fischer at dell.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 9:38 AM
To: kajtzu at basen.net; bertrand.lupart at linkeo.com
Cc: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: RE: Changing a drive in predictable failure state

On the fly can result in lost the whole array in the worst case. => data
corruption

omconfig storage adisk action=remove controller=id
adisk=<ARRAYFESTPLATTEN-ID>
omconfig storage adisk action=offline controller=id
adisk=<ARRAYFESTPLATTEN-ID>

One of these steps should be done to remove the disk from the array. I
use generally the offline task.