Changing a drive in predictable failure state

Bertrand LUPART bertrand.lupart at linkeo.com
Tue Jun 17 09:00:37 CDT 2008

Hello,

I've a PE 2950 whose physical drive #3 is in "predictable failure" state
(blinking green/orange). This disk is part of a RAID-1 virtual disk.

I've called the tech support who shipped me a replacement hard drive but
can't help me further since i'm running a Debian system, although i do
have dellomsa installed.

I was surprised when the tech told me i just can't hotswap the drive by
a new one. Since the drive is still considered as healthy, he said i
must remove the "faulty disk" from the RAID array beforehand.
Since i'm running an unsupported Dell system, he just told me to
shutdown the machine and handle that with the controller BIOS, which i'd
like not to do.

Should i really take the disk predicted to be faulty out of the RAID
array before replacing?

If yes, is there a way to remove the disk from the RAID array and then
configure the new disk using omconfig?

Thank you,

Below's some informations about the predicted to be faulty drive:

----8<----8<----8<----8<----
$ sudo omreport storage vdisk
List of Virtual Disks in the System

Controller PERC 5/i Integrated (Embedded)

ID                  : 1
Status              : Ok
Name                : Virtual Disk 1
State               : Ready
Progress            : Not Applicable
Layout              : RAID-1
Size                : 278.88 GB (299439751168 bytes)
Device Name         : /dev/sdb
Type                : SAS
Read Policy         : No Read Ahead
Write Policy        : Write Through
Cache Policy        : Not Applicable
Stripe Element Size : 64 KB
Disk Cache Policy   : Disabled

---->8---->8---->8---->8----

----8<----8<----8<----8<----
$ sudo omreport storage pdisk controller=0
List of Physical Disks on Controller PERC 5/i Integrated (Embedded)

Controller PERC 5/i Integrated (Embedded)

ID                        : 0:0:3
Status                    : Non-Critical
Name                      : Physical Disk 0:0:3
State                     : Online
Failure Predicted         : Yes
Progress                  : Not Applicable
Type                      : SAS
Capacity                  : 278.88 GB (299439751168 bytes)
Used RAID Disk Space      : 278.88 GB (299439751168 bytes)
Available RAID Disk Space : 0.00 GB (0 bytes)
Hot Spare                 : No
Vendor ID                 : DELL
Product ID                : ST3300555SS
Revision                  : T106
Serial No.                : 3LM0DLPD
Negotiated Speed          : Not Available
Capable Speed             : Not Available
Manufacture Day           : 07
Manufacture Week          : 02
Manufacture Year          : 2005
SAS Address               : 5000C50001E8E251

--
Bertrand LUPART

http://bertrand.gotpike.org/