RHEL3 on an R300

christian.peper at kpn.com christian.peper at kpn.com
Mon Jun 16 10:00:08 CDT 2008

No don't have experiences as it is indeed way too old. ;)
However, an install may just work. Problems may come from the local
hardware for which RHEL3 will not have the proper (or current) device
drivers.
I.e. your modern NIC, HBA and RAID controller will likely have issues.
Depending on if you can find separate drivers that you can use, this may
or may not be a show stopper.

Example:
old PE2950 have a PERC5/i, the latest PE2950 type3 has an PERC6/i
the R300 may have a newer broadcom chipset that the old RHEL3 driver
doesn't recognize

If you can disable on-board hardware and use your own PCI peripherals,
you should be able to live with it. My advice? Have your office use
their account manager at Weblogic to press certification against a newer
RHEL. Or try to leverage contacts at Red Hat to have them check with
WebLogic...
Chris.