U160 or U320 with Adaptec 29320LPE on Dell PowerEdge, with Ubuntu Linux v8.04 (Hardy)?

Michael_Christensen2 at Dell.com Michael_Christensen2 at Dell.com
Mon Jun 16 02:10:36 CDT 2008

Adaptec 39320A is the only validated non-raid SCSI controller for a
PE2950.

Dell part number: FP874
Part Description CRD,CTL,39320A,SCSI,ULD,PWREDG
Functional Description Card, CTL, 39320A, SCSI, LEAD FREE, POWEREDGE

Ubuntu is still not validated, so that in itself might be an issue.

//Michael

   3. U160 or U320 with Adaptec 29320LPE on Dell PowerEdge,	with
      Ubuntu Linux v8.04 (Hardy)? (Mike Berkley)

Message: 3
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 22:25:19 -0700
From: "Mike Berkley" <mike.berkley at gmail.com>
Subject: U160 or U320 with Adaptec 29320LPE on Dell PowerEdge,	with
	Ubuntu Linux v8.04 (Hardy)?
To: linux-poweredge at dell.com

If I understand correctly, the only SCSI card supported on newer Dell
PowerEdge servers (e.g. P1950III) is the Adaptec 29320LPE.

I tried using one of these cards with a U320 External RAID box.
Unfortunately, I kept getting kernel errors at U320 speeds.  In the
Adaptec BIOS, I had to reduce the channel speed to U160 before I could
get reliable performance.

I replaced the Adaptec 29320LPE with an LSI20320IE card, and am now
able to run the RAID unit at full U320 speed.

Are there special drivers from Dell to deal with the Adaptec 29320LPE?

There is a confirmed bug report on this issue filed at: