PowerEdge 1600SC and Hardware Monitoring

Jim Nelson jim.nelson at neteasyinc.com
Thu Jun 12 07:28:12 CDT 2008

M. Hamzah Khan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a PowerEdge 1600SC and was wondering if it has IPMI?
>
> The Dell IPMI page says the PowerEdge 1600SC with DRAC3/XT has IPMI.
> Mine does not have DRAC3/XT, does that mean I cannot use IPMI with my
> PowerEdge?
>
> I have loaded the dcdbas module and tried loading ipmi_si, but I get the
> following message:
> sekhmet ~ # modprobe ipmi_si
> FATAL: Error inserting ipmi_si
> (/lib/modules/2.6.25-gentoo-r4/kernel/drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_si.ko): No
> such device
>
> I've tried various options when loading the module but none of them seem
> to work:
> modprobe ipmi_si ports=0x8a2
> modprobe ipmi_si type="kcs" ports="0xca8" regspacings="4"
> modprobe ipmi_si type="bt" ports="0xca8" regspacings="4"
>
> Does anyone have the correct arguments I that will work with a PE 1600SC
> if it does support IMPI?
>
> I'm using Gentoo Linux. I'm using kernel version 2.6.25-gentoo-r4.
>
> I'd really like to have monitoring for my server without having to
> install OpenManage.
> I've read a lot of posts on this mailing list, but no one seems to have
> a solution for how to get this to work.
>
> Is this possible? lm_sensors doesn't pick up any sensors either.

I just checked an SC1600 I put in at a local nonprofit running CentOS 5.1, and
it had the same results.  OpenManage does work like a champ, though - at least
with CentOS.  This box was our backup server for a number of years, and I'd been
monitoring it with OpenManage ever since we started central monitoring.

The SC series of machines lack a lot of the sensors that the regular PowerEdge
servers do - the SC1425 has IPMI, but none of the other SC's of that time period.

Jim