clone PE2950

Alex Howells alex.howells at 0wn3d.us
Wed Jun 11 15:28:13 CDT 2008

2008/6/11 Bryan Mclellan <bryanm at widemile.com>:
> dd the disks? If you don't want to hook the disks from server b up to server
> a, use a <insert your distro here> rescue cd, and run dd over ssh?
>
> Of course you'd need to update the hostnames/ip addresses/etc afterwards. So
> if you're doing this on a heavily configured system you'll likely find it
> easier to build the second system from scratch.

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick!

If he has a *heavily* configured system changing the hostname and IP
addresses takes about 30 seconds when you know your stuff, whereas
reconfiguring from scratch a WWW server, database server (with
replication/backups?) and MTA takes ages.  Precisely why cloning
exists when you don't want to muck with CFengine, Puppet, or tools of
that ilk.