WOL on PowerEdge 2900/2950

Noah Dain noahdain at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 23:35:42 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 10:24 AM, John Hodrien <johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jun 2008, Torsten Krah wrote:
>
>> Am Dienstag, 3. Juni 2008 15:34:58 schrieb David Duncan:
>>>
>>> WOL does not persist.  You will need to enable it in rc.local or your
>>> halt script.
>>
>> Thats not the problem - however its not working yet anyway.
>> I can sent my magic packet dozen of times, the server does not respond
>> (wakes
>> up) - can it be done or not, and how?
>
> I believed, but have never tested, that you need to change the initscripts
> the network is not dropped/unloaded before power off.  Whether just setting
> network to be on in runlevel 0 is enough or not I don't know.
>
> jh

I don't know about wol, but do use ipmi.  You assign ipmi an ip
address from withing the bios.  After that, you can turn the machine
on/off via ipmi from over an ip network ( and other neat stuff).

http://openipmi.sourceforge.net/

--
Noah Dain
"The beatings will continue, until morale improves" - the Management