Problems with Fedora Core 5 and RHEL5 PXE/ks booting on PE1950 III

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Fri Jun 6 09:52:37 CDT 2008

John Hodrien wrote :

> On Fri, 6 Jun 2008, Matthias Saou wrote:
>
> > Has anyone already seen this problem? I don't recall having ever seen
> > it before, and that's with many PE1950 of all series (I, II and III).
> > The only thing I can think of is if these servers have a more recent
> > Broadcom firmware for the network interfaces which could cause
> > differences (?).
>
> Sounds exactly like portfast is not enabled on the connected port of the
> switch.  What you end up with is the network being brought up, with a near
> immediate DHCP request.  Takes 30 seconds for the port to become usable, and
> 30 seconds for DHCP to time out...

Might be it indeed, this is a 6248 switch with a lot of default
configuration left. Now I recall having had nfs mounting problems
related to not having enabled portfast on a 5324 switch some time ago...

Thanks a lot for the tip, that's almost certainly the problem!

Matthias

Fedora release 9 (Sulphur) - Linux kernel 2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64
Load : 0.06 0.27 0.26